Saturday, January 19, 2008

REFLECTIONS OF INDIA - CHASED BY WILD DOGS

January 19, 2007 - Nirmal to Adilabad

NOT PETS. This is the day one year go that I was chased by wild dogs. Relatively early in the morning, I made it to the top of a mountain after a long series of switchbacks and was coasting slowly, waiting on the other riders. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw some dogs at distance begin to move toward me. Typical Indian dogs don't chase anything. But this was a pack of dogs and they were running hard. They were reddish-brown and quite vicious. They picked up speed and closed in quickly. Full of fear and exploding with adrenaline, I also picked up speed. The lead dog got within 10 feet before I was able to find a high gear and, with the benefit of starting down the other side of the mountain, pedal away. The dogs finally gave up and headed off the road. I cell-phoned back to the other riders to warn them. But the dogs, which I later learned were called dholes and known for cornering and killing large animals, had departed by the time the other riders and the trailer-pulling Tata Victa went through that stretch of road. I felt grateful to have escaped unharmed. -- John Hay, Jr.

No comments: